Transportation in Akron, Ohio« Back to previous page
- Akron-Canton Airport (CAK), located only about 15 minutes south of downtown Akron, is the nation's fastest growing airport. Airlines serviced here include AirTran, Delta, Frontier, United Express, and US Airways. Features four parking lot options: free waiting area, short-term, long-term, and economy. Address: 5400 Lauby Rd. NW, North Canton, OH 44720. For more information, call 330.896.2385.
- Akron-Fulton International Airport (KAKR), located on the east side of Akron, accommodates private, single-, and multi-engine planes. Designed for private pilots/passengers, it features catering, car rental, repair and avionics services, fuel, rentals, charters, and flight training. Address: 1436 Triplett Blvd., Akron, OH 44306. For more information, call 330.733.3950.
- Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) serves as a hub for Continental Airlines and services nearly 700 arrival flights daily from more than 142 destinations. The airport is conveniently located near the crossroads of I-71, I-480, and I-80. Address: 5300 Riverside Dr., Cleveland, OH 44135. For more information, call 216.265.6030.
By Taxi or Airport Shuttle
There are several companies from which to choose, including:
- Akron CCL Taxi Co. (330.848.9755)
- Akron GI Cab Co. (330.253.2131)
- ATS (330.678.8809)
- Barberton-Summit Taxi (330.848.4955)
- City Yellow Cab Co. (330.253.3141)
- Falls Suburban Cab (330.929.3121)
- Hopkins Transportation & Shuttle Service (800.543.9912)
- Shuttle One Service (330.494.5800)
By Rental Car
There are a number of rental car companies you can rely on. Some choices include:
- Avis (888.897.8448)
- Enterprise (800.763.8222)
- Hertz (330.896.1331)
- National (330.499.8205)
The closest Amtrak train station to Akron is in Alliance, Ohio (24.5 miles away). Address: 820 East Main St., Alliance, OH 44601. There is also a station in Cleveland (30.6 miles away). Address: 200 Cleveland Memorial Shoreway, Cleveland, OH 44114. For more information, call 800.USA.RAIL (800.872.7245).
- Greyhound Bus Lines offers scheduled service to/from its Akron station, which is open from 5:45am-7:45pm every day of the week, including holidays. Address: 631 S. Broadway, Akron, OH 44311. For more information, call 330.434.9185 or 800.231.2222.
Akron is served by two major interstates that bisect the city. Unlike other cities, the bisection does not occur in the Central Business District, nor do the interstates serve the downtown region. Rather, the Akron Innerbelt and, to a much lesser extent, Ohio State Route 8 serve these functions:
- Interstate 77 connects Marietta, Ohio to Cleveland, Ohio. In Akron, it features 15 interchanges, four of which permit freeway-to-freeway movements. It runs north-south at the southern part of the city to its concurrency with I-76 where it takes a westerly turn, and after the concurrency takes a northwest turn.
- Interstate 76 connects Interstate 71 to Youngstown, Ohio and farther environs. It runs east-west and has 18 interchanges in Akron, four of which are freeway-to-freeway. The Kenmore Leg connects to I-277.
- Interstate 277 is an east-west spur that forms with US 224 after I-76 splits to the north to form the Kenmore Leg. It is cosigned with U.S. 224.
- The Akron Innerbelt is a six-lane, 2.24-mile spur from the I-76/I-77 concurrency and serves the urban core of the city. Its ramps are directional from the interstates, so it only serves west side drivers. The freeway comes to an abrupt end near the northern boundary of downtown where it becomes Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
- Ohio State Route 8 is a limited-access route that connects Akron's northern suburbs with Interstates 76 and 77. State Route 8's southern terminus is at the central interchange where it meets I-76 and I-77.
By Public Transportation
The Akron Metropolitan Regional Transit Authority, known as METRO, runs buses throughout Summit County, including the towns of Akron, Cuyahoga Falls, Stow, Twinsburg, and others. For more information, call 330.762.0341 or 800.227.9905.