Transportation in Canton, Ohio« Back to previous page
- Akron-Canton Regional Airport (CAK), located just 10 miles north of Canton, is the nation's fastest growing airport. Airlines serviced here include AirTran, Delta, Frontier, United Express, and US Airways. Features four parking lot options: free waiting area, short-term, long-term, and economy. Address: 5400 Lauby Rd. NW, North Canton, OH 44720. For more information, call 330.896.2385.
- Akron-Fulton International Airport (KAKR) accommodates private, single-, and multi-engine planes. Designed for private pilots/passengers, it features catering, car rental, repair and avionics services, fuel, rentals, charters, and flight training. Address: 1436 Triplett Blvd., Akron, OH 44306. For more information, call 330.733.3950.
- Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) serves as a hub for Continental Airlines and services nearly 700 arrival flights daily from more than 142 destinations. The airport is conveniently located near the crossroads of I-71, I-480, and I-80. Address: 5300 Riverside Dr., Cleveland, OH 44135. For more information, call 216.265.6030.
By Taxi or Airport Shuttle
There are several companies from which to choose, including:
- Shuttle One Service (330.494.5800)
- Team Taxi (330.224.8851)
- Tri-County Taxi Co. (330.351.6710)
By Rental Car
There are a number of rental car companies you can rely on. Some choices include:
- Avis (330.499.4492)
- Enterprise (330.498.4100)
- Hertz (330.499.7836)
- National (330.499.8205)
The closest Amtrak train station to Akron is in Alliance, Ohio (16.7 miles away). Address: 820 East Main St., Alliance, OH 44601. For more information, call 800.USA.RAIL (800.872.7245). There is also a station in Cleveland (56.7 miles away). Address: 200 Cleveland Memorial Shoreway, Cleveland, OH 44114. For more information, call 800.USA.RAIL (800.872.7245).
- Greyhound Bus Lines offers scheduled service to/from its Canton station, which is open Mon-Sat from 10:30am-3pm & 4:30pm-7:30pm, and on Sun. and all holidays from 10:30am-11:30am, 2pm-3pm, & 5pm-7:30pm. Address: 112 Cherry Ave. SE, Canton, OH 44707. For more information, call 330.456.7323.
Canton is well connected to the interstate highway system. Several highway exits from I-77 connect travelers to Canton from Columbia, SC; Charlotte, NC; Charleston, WV; and points south, as well as from Cleveland, OH; Akron, OH; and points north.
Two limited-access highways serve Canton. Several highway exits from U.S. Route 30 connect travelers to Canton from Fort Wayne, IN and points west, and from Atlantic City, NJ; Pittsburgh, PA; and points east. Several local highway exits from U.S. Route 62 connect travelers to Canton from Columbus, OH and points southwest, and from Youngstown, OH and points northeast.
The city has several arterial roads: Ohio 43 (Market Ave., Walnut Ave. and Cherry Ave.), Ohio 153 (12th St. and Mahoning Rd.), Ohio 172 (Tuscarawas St.) / The Lincoln Highway, Ohio 297 (Whipple Ave. and Raff Ave.), Ohio 627 (Faircrest St.), Ohio 687 (Fulton Dr.), and Ohio 800 (Cleveland Ave.) / aka Old Route 8.
By Public Transportation
The Stark Area Regional Transit Authority, known as SARTA, was recognized as the "Most Outstanding Public Transportation System" in the U.s. for agencies of similar size in 2006. It runs buses throughout Summit County, including the towns of Canton, North Canton, and Akron. It also offers Akron-Canton Airport pick-ups and drop-offs. For more information, call 330.454.6132.